Sunday, March 31, 2013

Family Outing

My dad graduated from high school in the little town of Ennis in southeastern Montana. When he was in college, his parents moved to Bozeman and remained there for the rest of their lives. Then my sister moved to the Gallatin Valley twenty years ago. Altogether, I've been going to Bozeman for visits and holidays my entire life.

This year we met my sister from Spokane here for Easter, and this morning we marked the occasion by going for a hike. Not just any hike, mind you. We trudged up the side of a mountain to the big white 'M' that honors Montana State University, because nothing says resurrection like nearly dying of a heart attack. 

Here's the view of the M from my sister's back yard, it's the white smudge right in the center of the picture: 


Doesn't look that high from the bottom. Whole different perspective looking down from the top, and your car is nothing but a speck in the parking lot. Or maybe that was just one of the dark spots dancing in front of my eyes from oxygen deprivation.


Once your vision clears, the view is its own reward. The highest peak in the distance is Lone Mountain, home of Big Sky Ski Resort. And down there on the right side of the photo is the campus of Montana State University. I think you can see why I was in no big rush to graduate. 


In case anyone doubted us...photographic proof that we didn't just send the camera up with one of the crazy people who actually jog laps on this trail. 


Happy Easter

*

4 comments:

Janice Grinyer said...

uh-oh.

both of my daughters are Griz graduates...along with their husbands...

and so is the Neighbor Ranchers to the north's kids & spouses...

:o !

Nothing reflects Montana more then a good "Brawl of the Wild" game - more so then dividing lines between democrats & repubs LOL

Cynthia D'Alba said...

hmm...that last picture Looks like a cut and paste job to me. :)

Linda G. said...

Gorgeous view! Thank goodness for people like you who take pictures like that so I don't have to. ;)

Laura Savage said...

The 'M' stands for 'Migraine Mountain', correct? lol...