Saturday, April 19, 2014

Hello, Beautiful

*

I gotta be honest. This has been one of my favorite springs ever. Not because life has been all sunshine and singing birds, either. Mostly, I've been thoroughly enjoying the fact that unlike most years, I'm not the only one complaining about snow in April. In fact, about 75% percent of the country has been chiming in on that refrain.

Of course I laughed. What can I say, sometimes I'm not as pure of heart as I should be.

Spring here at mile high altitude and northern latitudes is more of a concept than a reality. And when it does come, it rarely stays for more than a few days. Come to think of it, Spring would make an excellent house guest. Take this week, for example. On Sunday, it was sunny and almost sixty degrees. On Wednesday, we got eight inches of snow. Today, sunny and sixty again. By Friday, more snow. And so on. And so on.

Deciding when Spring has actually arrived to stay is not easy. My personal measuring stick has two markers. First, I have to hear a meadowlark sing, which I did down by the willows last weekend. And second....



Yes! Finally, the ground is warm enough for the first crocuses to bloom. So hello, Spring. Hope you'll stick around awhile. 

*



1 comment:

Susan said...

I had to chuckle as I read this. Temperatures in my corner of Montana have dropped to 33 degrees this evening - and it looks entirely possible that it could snow!
Glad I found another Montana blogger (!) and your blog through NearandFarMontana.com. I am enjoying your posts.